Friday, 14 August 2026

Ketchup and Mayonnaise

Something that wasn't on my Funemployment bucket list but was something I needed to do ahead of tomorrow was make my first ever batch of mayonnaise and ketchup. 

Mayo first. I watched a whole bunch of videos on how to make it, while the ingredients stay the same there's some differing opinions on method. Jamie Oliver has never failed me in the past - a bowl and a hand whisk while drizzling in oil. Except I got a bit scared on how slowly I needed to mix in the oil so I did it at a snails pace. I ended up overwhisking, the mayo split and I got a blister on my finger from mixing - cheers Jamie. Take two was everything in a tall vessel and a hand mixer. 30 seconds later I had mayonnaise, it was perfect.

As for ketchup (a condiment I've never cared for) I just threw all the ingredients in a pan and slow reduced it for like four hours. It makes me chuckle how much sugar you have to put in it to offset the vinegar, basically adding two contrasting flavours to cancel eachother out. My final sauce has a bit of an acidic zing to it, I always hate how sweet ketchup tastes but I might need to mix in a touch more sugar to keep the masses happy.

Both staple sauces ended up being much more complex than I expected, lot of fun to make though. This is all in aid of the dinner party I'm bringing some bits over for. The theme is nostalgia so I'm making homemade chicken nuggets with the aforementioned sauces. Hope they go down well.

No comments:

Post a Comment