The whole day I was getting hyped up for a generational event: the eclipse of 2026. I met up with Louis and headed up into our park to secure a good spot. We didn't have the special glasses, not did we bother to put a pinhole in a cereal box, we just went up to be a part of it all. While chatting I was slowly unlocking my memories of the last eclipse back in 1999. I was barely cognisant then but the day still made an impression, guess the novelty of it dimming at midday stuck in my memory. It's also funny to think that I've seen two eclipses, both in green spaces called Victoria Park, albeit in different parts of the country.
The actual covering of the Sun part was rather underwhelming. I was expecting the park to be shrouded in an eerie twilight, for dogs to start barking and birds to loose their circadian rhythm. In reality, things just got a little less bright, a pre-dusk before the real dusk. Guess that's on me for not getting the special glasses to enjoy the true majesty of the moment, but it was cool to be a part of something - I'll have an answer to the question 'where were you during the last eclipse.'
No comments:
Post a Comment