Wednesday, 23 September 2026

70up

If I'm being totally honest, I felt a little glum at work today. We're in that awkward sweet spot in the job where all the hard work is being done by everyone except me. I can offer to help as much as I can, but there's a point where another pair of hands will only muddy the waters, so I did my own prep so I was ready for when my own work load takes precedence (I will certainly happen, just not today it seems).

Instead the best thing I did today was watch 70up, the conclusion to the long running Up Documentary series. I was expecting to be moved by it but I was emotionally demolished by the ending. It's easy to say it's the best one by virtue of it being the last, but the change in director lets the project push against the show's format. It's more reflective and revalatory thanks to bonus archive footage that recontextualises plenty of the subjects - I thought I knew everyone but even after 70 years you still discover new things about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment