Thursday, 10 September 2026

Happy 33, Me!

Rebecca is always such a trooper when she elects to wake up at the same time as me. 6:20 is early for a random Thursday but she still managed to spoil me with a pastry breakfast and a few presents.

Going into work was the most surreal part of the day. I intentionally told myself that I wouldn't tell anyone it was my birthday today, mostly because I didn't want the fuss. New job, new colleagues and all so I didn't expect anything either. Ten minutes into my day someone walked in and declared 'Happy Thursday'. Which someone misheard and worriedly replied 'Happy Birthday?! Who's Birthday is it?!' I stayed quiet here, but the office chat quickly turned into a conversation about when everyone's special day was, so everyone went round in turn, like an ice breaker, revealing their birth date. Still I kept quiet, really hoping no one would ask me. Then they did. Point blank. 'So, when's your Birthday Theo?' In that moment I knew I couldn't lie so ai sheepishly said it was today. They asked if I was joking at first but the silence was held too long for it to be a bit. The office immediately imploded into a frenzy. One colleague who I'd worked with a couple of years now, felt so awkward that she seemingly went out and orchestrated a typical office birthday out of thin air. Massive credit to her though - she got a card signed by everyone in the office, a cake and a couple of gifts. I'm actually quite happy it went the way it did, we all got a great story out of it.

Back home I had the place to myself for just under an hour. I got a new game as a gift so I booted that up and sat back in the sofa. At that exact moment, I clocked the birthday bunting Rebecca put up for me, which made me aware that I was literally living inside the short film I made with the sock puppet. Only difference was I knew friends and family were only a couple of minutes away. Louis, Rachel and Dan turned up for an evening of laughs and burgers. We watched an ideal comedy film for our crowd: Nirvana the Band the Show the Movie which tickled us all pink. I'm so grateful to have spent my double three day with people who were there to make sure my Birthday was a special one.

No comments:

Post a Comment