Sunday 21 August 2022

Greyson Perry Bristol

Accidentally put Rebecca and myself in a flap this morning as I totally dropped the ball on learning when my parents were coming over to visit. In my head we had oodles of time for a cooked breakfast chased by The West Wing. In reality I was still in my pyjamas with egg quietly crystalizing on the front when Mum and Dad were only 10 minutes away. Nothing a good rush about couldn't fix and an hour later we were all laughing and drinking teas and coffee.

Their visit was thanks to the touring Grayson Perry exhibition at the Bristol Museum - a series of artwork all about coping with lockdown done by mostly nonprofessional artists. The art was generally playful and quirky in all the right places, often my inner Brit smiled at niche cultural references towards a period of shared middle class suffering. Many nods to home baking projects and Deliveroo driver's as modern day superheros basically. Other pieces offered moments of quiet personal reflection, the epitaph for each artwork drew out plenty of meaning to support each bit of art and they were all a pleasure to read. A jolly good exhibition in all!

Before we bid Mum and Dad farewell a visit to a unfamiliar restaurant called to us. Lona is a Lebenese joint with a solid juice bar in the back. A near pint of grapefruit juice followed by a mixed grill large enough to redefine the term 'meat sweats' landed in front of me, and I had no choice but to consume. In bed now and still digesting, every tummy gurgle a reminder of a Sunday we'll spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment