Thursday 25 August 2022

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Sent off my Youth for Europe report, hopefully it won't get cut off mid sentence again like in a previous newsletter. Begun mentally preparing myself for 6 weeks working in London soon, gonna be a lot of MegaBuses. If only they had a loyalty scheme, I reckon I'd be a patron at this point though. 

Today's film was The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, a Coen Brother film that slipped through the cracks for me on release. Usually I'd be a sucker for 6 Western short stories but for me, the project failed to coagulate, outside of being a showcase for the Coen's penchant for genre and dialogue (which is always a treat). Every now and then there's a good moment or image and the shorts themselves are generally fun and occasionally absurdist in all the right ways, but after they're over they don't echo in the mind. Not even Tom Waits as a curmudgeonly gold prospector managed to win me over which is really saying something.

No comments:

Post a Comment