Wednesday 10 July 2013

Toe-stubbing Tigers

I consider Calvin and Hobbes to possibly be the best cartoon strip of all time. The way it could both ask questions as bold as what it means to be an adult, and to pondering things as simple as why the toaster only cooks one side of the bread. I see a little bit of me and my brother reflected between the two characters and how they react to one another (nowhere is this more evident than in his Edmund and Darrell series, which is loosely based on our lives.)

Any avid fan of Calvin and Hobbes know that there is a recurring joke where Hobbes (the imaginary stuffed tiger) lies in wait for Calvin to return home from school to pounce on him because he is ecstatic about spending time with his best friend:



While I was in the bathroom I saw that Louis had come home from school early and was having a cup of tea outside, he was in a good mood to which is somewhat of a rarity these days. In an attempt to quickly go down and greet him however I gave myself possibly the worst self-inflicted toe stubbing in the history of the world. Flinging the bathroom door open, I inexplicably managed to get my toe caught in the frontal force of the exaggerated door opening, which in turn forced the toe under the door, simultaneously crushing and pinching it. I was on the floor for a good minute in agony. But in that glorious minute of pain there was one image burned in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment