Sunday 26 November 2017

The Special Beer

My brain was half convinced that I was sleeping in Bristol, but reality told me that I was very much in London after I Woke up to the sound of Tooting's Church bells. The scrambled egg breakfast Rebecca and I were promised was off the cards since we all over-slept and we had to make a quick trip back to Twickenham for a Birthday lunch for Rebecca's Nan, we were also meeting some friends of her family who I've only met on a handful of occasions but they have always been very welcoming to me. We got went out to Lock Fyne, like last year for Rebecca's Nan's Birthday and it was a lovely meal and evening.

Towards the end of the meal the conversation shifted towards a funeral the family friends recently attended. The Dad of the family buried his Father a few months ago, but everyone round the table remembers the funeral very fondly despite it being an sad time. The Dad continued to describe the events after the wake and how he went into a Supermarket looking to get a few more beers to take home, he was shocked to find his late Father's favourite brand was prominently on sale there. He took the beer home to share with his son and they both continued to drink and chat into the small hours of the morning. He described that moment by saying 'You could feel my Father looking down on us then.' As he said that, I noticed his eyes were glassy and he begun to rub tears from his eyes, but he continued to talk as if nothing happened. That little moment really stuck with me, it was lovely to think that these beers played such an important role to him during the funeral, and you could tell he valued drinking them with his own son that day. The dinner was great, but that fragment of the evening is likely to stick with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment