Saturday 2 April 2016

Shot Logging

Tackled the mighty, mighty job of shot logging my grad film today. It boiled down to listening to around 230 sound clips and re-naming them all appropriately and then watching around the same number of video files so I can re-name them too. It's remarkably easy to do, but man, it took some time. The audio files alone took two and a half hours to label correctly, but I'll be laughing when I'm in the edit suite tomorrow as all the stuff I did today just helps to prime myself for the main edit.

Being the only two in the house, Lincoln and I put on Anomalisa, the new Charlie Kaufman film and it took me for a bit of a ride. At times, I though I was watching something that would stay with me for the rest of my life, at other points I was lamenting over how it betrayed the tone it took ages to construct. The first hour was brilliant, it won me over quickly with its sense of humour and deliberate pacing that's hugely novel for an animated film. From the get-go, it wants to make you feel a little uncomfortable, our protagonist rarely makes the right conversational decisions and occasionally its charming but sometimes it can pull you right out of that beautifully animated world. Similarly, I think Kaufman made one or two poor choices with the story and tried to make it a bit loftier than necessary. It truly works as a piece about a lonely man looking for love, but it tries to be something a little more and it doesn't handle that side anywhere near as well as the former. 

No comments:

Post a Comment