Tuesday 29 October 2013

Waking up early?

Woke up naturally without the assistance of an alarm clock today. After having a lovely dream about getting some good deals at a car boot sale, I checked what time it was and how long I had until I needed to be at lectures. I had 15 minutes to be there. I forgot to set an alarm, and didn't have time to do anything minus putting on clothes and shoes to run into uni. Close call, I got there in the nick of time!

It was quite dark when I got back home to an empty house, Mark and Lucy are away and Jamie was at work so I have had the evening to myself. I made a 'Beans-hemoth on toast' for one and tucked into what may well be a contender for game of the year. Brothers: a Tale of Two Sons tells the story of a pair of Brother's journey to find the tree of life to cure their dying father. It starts off in their village where everything feels warm and fluffy like a Disney movie but the further away you get from your hometown the more 'Brothers Grimm-esque' the world becomes. The wonderful always outweighs the weird though since the game has an absolutely beautiful art style and story that captivated and pushed me to keep playing through its 2 and a half hour length since each location was more impressive and perilous than the last. Looking back, it really ran the gambit with my emotions as well, I felt genuine fear, sorrow and joy at points; one scene in particular involving mountain goats left me with a smirk I couldn't get rid of. Even though the controls consisted of basic movement and a single action button, everything I did felt satisfying since you have to co-ordinate both characters simultaneously to overcome obstacles. It never got too challenging though so it kept a good pace at it was always eager to show you something new and different. If there was ever a game I think my Mum should play, it's this one. It's short, simple as well as mechanically and emotionally satisfying. Strongly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment