Tuesday 26 September 2017

In Joke Movies

Booted my body in recovery mode and lived off a steady stream of jam on toast and lemsip today. Just shaking off the last ounce of this cold now and I turned to film to sort me out.

Our family has a running stream of holiday films that ended up becoming in-jokes, Dad always brings the same handful of DVD's with good intentions, but they never get watched. Countless years have gone by where All or Nothing, or The House of Sand and Fog are brought to Bournemouth or abroad and we never give them a chance. Well at long last, I put one of them on my telly, and that film was Munich.

Basically it's Stephen Spielberg's most unknown recent movie and a lot of people have probably never heard of it, which is a real shame, because I ended up really liking it. It starts off a little bit Kitschy with a rag-tag group going after the terrorists who plotted Black September. But it turned into something a bit more than that down the line and that really engaged me. Ultimately the subject matter turned off a lot of people at the time, and many critics didn't think Spielberg provided a real voice on the issue on Palestine and Israel, but I think that's unfair. It was a well paced, occasionally tense piece that massaged my brain in all the right places by the end. Little gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment