Friday 22 September 2017

Jesse James and Robert Ford

Conscious that I hadn't seen a new film for a long while, I spotted The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford on Amazon Instant Video and gave it a play.

I was treated to an epic western and biopic about the infamous outlaw and his eventual killer. Its a remarkable story, expertly told through gritty dialogue and gorgeous camera work. A lot of people have said the film is overly long, even Terrance Malick apparently! The length didn't bother me one jot though as it all served to develop the characters and chart the course if their futures in a way that felt wholly natural. And when Brad Pitt, Casey Affleck and Roger Deakins are all bringing their A-game, its hard to complain about the run time.

I'm case you can't tell, I was a fan. Its the Amadues of Westerns and you should watch it the first chance you get.

One thing that was quite cool though is I went to google the film afterwards and there were all these brand-spanking new articles written on the film. Turns out, it was released 10 years ago yesterday, so that's pretty neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment