Saturday 4 March 2023

Racking up the Austens

 A house guest was crashing in our spare room last night, as thanks they offered to buy Rebecca and me breakfast. Sadly they woke up far too late in the day and had to run off to catch a train, so Rebecca and I just had porridge like normal. shame because I was looking forward to a free cooked breakfast, guess I'll just get one off the catering truck on Monday.

Rebecca declared the other day that we should watch all the good film adaptations of Jane Austen's works. We did Sense and Sensibility last week which I rather enjoyed, what I liked a little less was the 2005 Pride and Prejudice. Slowly I piecing together what makes a good Jane Austen film (and why Sanditon misses the mark). Having a cheery/cheeky sense of humour is helpful but not as important as an ensemble of characters that are all rooting for one another. A close knit group of family and friends that come together to share the good and the bad times. This Pride and Prejudice felt a little busy and didn't capture the warmth people yearn for in these adaptations. We have Gwyneth Paltrow's Emma to go yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment