Thursday 12 May 2016

Media Museum

Continuing our time documenting the Bradford fire, we took a trip to the football stadium where it all happened. It was a little strange standing in a 'ground zero' of sorts,  at the same time, it was quite cool to be stood within an empty football stadium (I've never set foot in a football stadium properly before.) My sound job was very easy today, mostly just getting ambiant sound tracks of the stadium. I'll have a lot more to do tomorrow as I've got a selection of interviews to gather up.

We wrapped quite early as well, 11:30 to be precise so we had the whole day to just explore the city and the Media Museum which was absolutely fantastic. In top of having some great stuff on how television was developed and became mainstream, there was a class exhibit on videogames, featuring playable versions of Sonic 2 and GoldenEye, both games of my childhood. Hands down though, the best exhibit was the one on animation, specifically stop frame.

So many other museums would be content with showing off Wallace and Gromit and calling it a day, but this one really went all out in showing off several sets and models of stuff from the 80's and 90's. A lot of lesser known and darker films were on show here which was a real breath of fresh air. In fact, I took several notes down for a bunch of shorts I had never even heard of but I am now desperate to see.

Most notably, the museum had the only surviving set from early Wallace and Gromit after the Aardman fire. The Museum jewellery heist set from The Wrong Trousers was proudly displayed in all its glory and it was gorgeous to look at. I was only watching that short with Rebecca the other day and I was telling her about how much love and respect I had for that film, it was lovely to see that set in all its glory. Especially knowing that I had seen it on the screen since before I can even remember.

Another small model that really got my attention was the actual figuring of Shakespeare used in 'Next' one of my all time favourite short films. It blew my mind again, seeing that little man in the flesh, knowing that he has brought me so much joy over the years. Itching to rewatch it now, if only I wasn't stuck on 3g internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment