Monday 25 June 2018

Goodbye Grandad Bob

My parents got the call in the early hours of this morning to let them know that Grandad Bob had passed away.

In an act of pure kindness, Rebecca drove me down to Newbury late last night to be with my family after they got a phonecall saying that he was rapidly fading. Apparently he rallied a little bit over the course of yesterday, but slipped away in the night.

This morning I traveled down to Orpington with Mum and Dad to see Grandma to make sure she was doing alright and to offer my support.

Grandad Bob was always a big fan of this blog, every time I said goodbye to him after Christmas or Easter he'd shake my hand and say 'keep up the blog'. A few months ago Grandma showed me a clipping from their church newsletter, it featured a small article written by Bob talking about random acts of kindness. He directly quoted a post I wrote many years ago about how I walked a forgetful old lady to the police station in the pouring rain and mentioned how proud he was to have a Grandson do something so selfless. It embarrassed him greatly when he saw me reading what he wrote but it was touching to know that he wanted to share that story and that he was interested in my life.

I've never written a post purely for myself, I always wrote it knowing that Grandad Bob was probably reading it after feeding the cat or just before his breakfast and that thought always made me smile. It saddens me greatly to know that not only have I lost a passionate reader, but also a truly wonderful Grandfather too.


Goodbye Grandad Bob, words cannot express how much I miss you.



No comments:

Post a Comment