Sunday 29 October 2023

To Peel a Pumpkin

We successfully smuggled some bonafide maple syrup out of Canada so it felt right to rustle up some pancakes this morning. The syrup was damn good, but I won't be making the trip out there again just for a small bottle - I bet this is what the Irish say about Guinness not tasting the same outside of Dublin but we all know the truth.

Pumpkins dictated the rest of the day. Rebecca wanted to make her October cupcakes - the key ingredient being everyone's favourite orange gourd. Mum transferred the design I wanted into my pumpkin yesterday so I got to work on carving, plus peeling. That's right, for the first time I attempted a hybrid technique to create my look this year. Instead of sawing all the way through the flesh, you just take a knife and peel off the thick skin. It sounds like a faff, and with a 12 year old pairing knife it admittedly could have been easier, but the process was fun and the results were much better than I had expected.

My design this year was based on a character in a board game who aptly is carving a pumpkin. I think it looks mighty fine in the dark. The extra lines in the face really sell the look.


 




No comments:

Post a Comment