Friday 1 November 2013

Studio day - getting to grips

Got another studio session today, where I got to play one of five different roles when it comes to live streaming TV.

1. Camera Man/Operator. Positioned behind a massive camera that took a hour to learn about, I was in charge of getting our chat show host perfectly in frame in preparation for the directors decision.

2. Presenter. They needed someone mildly personable in front of camera for one take so I stepped up to the plate. I got to ask our South Korean guest about his favourite topic: Grand Theft Auto 5!

3. Sound. After rigging up some folks with radio mics I then went off into a small dark room with a lot of sliders to fiddle with - too many in fact. Luckily I had the assistance of a sound engineer who told me what to do before we went live, just as we did though he said 'Just gotta pop to the loo.' Leaving this in front of me:

What the hell am I looking at?
 4. Floor Manager. The dude with the headset on who tells people without headsets on whats-what. Very comparable to a sheep-dog in some ways because without this role there would be a lot of headless chicken types present.

5. Production Assistant. I got a big old microphone and a stop-watch to countdown to the crew when we were on air and what stage of the running order we were converging to. It was basically like having new year over and over again since I had to repeat the whole '10... 9... 8...' process a half dozen times.

No comments:

Post a Comment