Sunday 7 January 2018

Their Finest

Last night Rebecca and I agreed to help out a friend move his stuff out of his ex-girlfriends house. I expected the entire thing to be really awkward, I was thinking there would be a boxes labelled 'Jerk's Stuff' or we wouldn't be allowed in when we got there. Turned out to be absolutely fine and dare I say, quite civil. No dramas, went in, grabbed a few books and T-shirts and got lunch afterwards to celebrate a job well done. 

Conscious that I hadn't actually seen a new film this year, Rebecca and I prowled through the offerings on Netflix before settling on Their Finest, a film I heard generally good things about in Mark Kermode's podcast way back last April. I ended up liking it an awful lot more than I had expected, and I'm not the type who typically goes in for costume dramas. Its about a young woman who gets a job in a British film studio in WW2, she's tasked with writing a feel good / propaganda film with a feminine touch to appeal to a wider audience. It turned out to be a film about film-making, and a damn good one too that struck a real chord with me, especially towards the end when it begins to dwell on the impact films can make on people akin to Cinema Paradiso, albeit an incredibly British take on it. I feel this one flew under the radar a bit when it first came out, but it's found an excellent home on Netflix since it's a feel good movie with more heart than it initially lets on. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment