Tuesday 17 August 2021

Whist Expert

Put my 'Historical Games Advisor' hat on once more, this time I was teaching Whist for to a group of 4 ladies attending a Whist Drive. I got to rehearse alongside the actors and figured out a way with them to re-load the cards in each time so there was playing card continuity between takes. Then I parked myself by the monitors and effectively joined the Script Supervisor in watching the scene unfold and ensuring the game was being played correctly.

 At some point during this mad, crazy day, I realized it been exactly one year since I started on The Last Bus. 365 days ago I was as green as they come, not really knowing how to behave on a big film shoot or how to carry myself. One year on to the day, I find myself having a chuckle with the director and DOP while working on an ITV primetime show and having the time of my life. I just have to thank Mark Stopher once again for coaxing my into the world of telly proper - without him, I certainly wouldn't be where I am today.

Oh by the way. if you do happen to watch the show once it goes out, keep an eye out for the trump card that's played in the Whist scene... as a callback to my roots and the hayday of cafe Studios, I suggested that the 8 of Spades should be the trump card. I said it with a professional gusto, so no-one dared challenge that decision, but it's technically correct for the game and serves as a little homage to an old project of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment