Thursday 20 December 2012

Wrapping time!

Xmas present wrapping begun today! I have 75% of my presents now this year with just a few more to get downtown tomorrow afternoon after school in the morning. However it's not quite like I want to show my face in school again after the embarrassing situation myself and my parents put me through for the award ceremony this evening. I was initially quite against going at all because I knew it would be nice to see old school friends but at the same time very tedious (my suspicious were confirmed as the guest speaker did like to have a jolly good ramble.) However when I was due to pick up my certificate my name was not called, it later dawned on me during the show that I possibly forgot to hand in a slip of paper saying that I would be coming to pick up my award so they had nothing to present to me. Of course this was my own fault but then my parents whisked me out of the ceremony as they considered that any further time spent in the hall would be a waste so they beckoned me over with Mark, between us we had to time our retreats during moments of applause so to hopefully slip out unnoticed. 

I was also quite passionate about letting Mum play through The Walking Dead today, so I very kindly installed all the necessary files onto her computer and talked her through the basics. It wasn't til we started play that she bombarded me with rude, self-important quips about how to play the game, this coming from a woman who hasn't played a proper game since Dragon's Fury on the Megadrive was nothing short of astonishing. Games have come a long way in the cinematic department too, something Mum clearly hasn't quite understood yet as she tried to play most cut-scenes while failing to press any buttons when she was supposed to. I guess it is just a testament as to how generic game design has been hardwired into my brain as I know exactly what to look for in an adventure game in a given situation and how a game wants me to think. It is both fascinating and infuriating to see a new person get into gaming for the first time as we expect everything to come naturally to them as it does to us but sadly that is not always the case. Mum is a lost cause though, she has a very spiteful naivety when it comes to things like this...  Guess she just needs to stick to pinball.

1 comment:

  1. you told me it wasn't about zombies - pulverizing people's skulls with claw hammers isn't my idea of fun.

    find me a fantasy romantic game with a princess and some dwarves in a beautiful forest and I'll be up for it!

    Mum

    ReplyDelete