Tuesday 21 July 2015

Back to Blade Runner

Spent some time with my ex-housemate Jamie which I always look forward to. We discuss games and films we have experienced, and while we don't always share the same opinions I consistently enjoy talking about our views. I also just enjoy seeing films with him, and in this case he called me up telling me that he had never seen Blade Runner, a few hours later, we amended that problem. Funnily enough I recall not liking the film the first time I saw it, but I always look back on it fondly and associate it with my time doing film studies.

Going into A level film studies I was always told that 'This course will change the way you watch films forever.' That prospect scared me at first, maybe I'll over-analyse things or perhaps I'll turn into a cynical arse/film snob (I'm pretty sure some of my friends already think of me as the latter; haters goin' hate.) Blade Runner was the first film I had to analyse critically and independently for a piece of coursework and I actually really enjoyed the experience. Writing it served to enhance my enjoyment of the film despite the fact I remember not really enjoying it on my first watch. Now that I have sat through it a second time I can safely say that it is truly a excellent film and a marvel to behold. All the while re-watching it with Jamie I was thinking about how I critically looked into it's mise-en-scene and sound design for a small scene and now I could apply it to the whole thing with a real understanding for the film's style and intentions. Plus it was the coveted 'Final Cut' version with a few extra minutes of content and shiny visual update so it was just begging for a re-watch.

Re-visiting films can often be a very rewarding experience as you will often notice something new or find a new-found appreciation for it. Blade Runner, like all great classics, continue giving years after their initial release.

No comments:

Post a Comment