Tuesday 28 July 2015

Computer Part Hell

Got off to a good start today. I ordered a bunch of parts to upgrade my computer, including a graphics card that effectively doubles my current power and turns my dusty old PC into a NASA supercomputer. Quite literally the first thing that happened to me today was Louis waking me up with a parcel with the card inside. I was delivered 4 days early so I was over the moon. Louis had to go to work though, and since I'm not hugely adept in opening up computers and prying things apart I thought I could wait until he came home.

Louis has also recently upgraded his PC and I got a horror story about him needing to take a hacksaw to a portion of his frame so he could make room for this new bits and pieces. So I asked Dad where I could find our little saw and he replied with 'Bournemouth.' Oh good, emergency trip to Wilko it was then. Once Louis came back from work we sat down and took apart every little bit for my machine so no nasty metal filings would fall into it while I sawed into it, it was only after I painstakingly removed every last screw that we realised that my new card fitted in very comfortably... without the need for a hacksaw. Guess I can add that to my non-existant box of DIY tools then.

So we installed everything and put it all back together only to find that the PC didn't actually boot up again. Turns out I need slightly more power in order to get my graphics card to run despite ordering it specifically so I wouldn't have to buy a new PSU. No matter though, with Louis' Amazon Prime I should be operational again by Thursday so until then, Film Epics Week can continue:

Tuesday's film was Lawrence of Arabia, supposedly Spielberg watches this film before he directs any movie and after seeing it you can begin to see why. The film remains an absolute marvel to watch simple due to the staggering amount of production that must have been necessary. You can tell that David Lean's production coordinators presented him with 50 extras and hoping that was enough, only for him to say '50?! Bah! I'll need at least 400 extra for nearly every scene of this movie!' To which the production team say 'please, David, no.' But they did it, and by golly it paid off. The sheer scale can knock you back at points and for it's time it must have been something really special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment