Monday 14 September 2015

Early Morning Pilgrimage

If you love hearing delicious tales about when the world beats me down because I am stubborn then you will love this.

Started my work experience today, its in a little office situated in Poole, the next big town over from where I am. Rebecca and I did a little bit of research into transport and generally how I would get there. Bikes and buses were both the popular options, buses were a bit more complicated as the slightly cheaper route was also double the length and required a change so I figured cycling into work would be hip and trendy.

Wake up this morning and already cycling is slowly becoming less and less attractive on account of the bad weather. I continued getting myself ready for the day and fortunately the rain subsided so I made a dash for the bike that Dad left behind. It was one of those bikes with very thin wheels on it, I tried to give it a spin on the patio and I couldn't actually stay upright on it; I might as well have been riding a unicycle.

With cycling out of the picture I thought that I had probably missed the quick hourly bus and all the others would take too long. I bit the bullet and decided to walk in. Google maps said it would take about 75 minutes to walk it which I felt strangely optimistic about considering it was 10 to 8 in the morning. I had my music in and I was navigating my way to a strange new land, it felt kinda cool so i didn't mind walking the first little bit. Then the rain came. And the rain came hard. And I kid you not, this song came on. (listen along to achieve empathy for my situation; it didn't help my mood)



Being the genius I am, I also thought the skies had cleared up enough to warrant me not bringing an umbrella before I left home so naturally I got soaked. The rain hit 'downpour' status just as I reached a critical turning point for my journey. Google maps was pointing me in a very odd looking direction - into what looked like the countryside, I couldn't look at my phone for extended periods because I feared that the rain would damage it so I cut myself a new path in the midst of some very heavy rain. I was flying blind here, with no sense of direction, I had a gist of roughly where I needed to go but it wasn't good enough. 10 minutes of wandering made me feel desperate, I couldn't afford to be late to my first day in a new job and I was already cutting it very fine for time. I nipped under some trees and checked my phone again which had recalculated and pointed me back on track. The rain was still awful at this point but I kept on slogging it.

I was in a foul mood at this point, I was pretty miffed at myself for wasting time with a 'I know better than GPS home-made shortcut' and I was kicking myself for not bringing a brolly. Google maps then took me right back to the turning I had previously sneered just to really rub in how poor all my decisions had been that morning. I put all my faith in it from that point on and did get to my work bang on time thanks in part to some power-walking.

The work experience itself was pretty cool. I was first making a chart of eye expressions within animation as a point of reference for a television advert they are making (I'm not allowed to say which one yet!) I also helped with a very rough edit job and even put out a few casting calls for actors within the local area like a real production assistant. In fact, we already heard back from a few applicants so I must be doing something right.

I got the bus home. Learnt my lesson. I'll be getting the bus tomorrow morning to save myself the pain of the early morning pilgrimage.

No comments:

Post a Comment