Sunday 8 July 2018

Film and Theatre Fan

Rebecca went out to spent some quality time with her Mum, so I spent some special time with some DVD's I brought with me. Dad recommended Ulee's Gold and I felt that this morning was the perfect opportunity to watch it, it did not disappoint. Peter Fonda plays a socially reserved beekeeper while the lives and issues of his estranged family muscle their way back into his life. It was told in the style of a great American novel, everything unfurled naturally and every scene and piece of dialogue had substance and purpose. A really underated gem in my  opinion and probably the greatest drama where bees have a starring role.

We hit some traffic on the way back to Bristol, but arrived just in time to go see a play co-directed by Rachel. I was informed beforehand that there would be some light audience participation, it made me chuckle when a ringing phone was thrusted into Louis hand and the actor prompted him to answer it. While it certainly was abstract, there was enough personality and humanity to latch onto which carried you through the experience. The soundscape played a big part in it too and it felt like you stepped into a realm of a collective subconscious. Good, and dare I say, inspiring stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment