Saturday 5 March 2022

Petite Maman

Since technically this is the last weekend I have off before heading back to work, I wanted to make sure Rebecca and I got some quality time together. A trip up Park Street to tour the bookshops is something we love to do together so we did exactly that, plus a little window shopping elsewhere. I walked away with a lovely espresso cup and saucer plus another Ray Bradbury book to add to my shelf. Pinkman's bakery was our lunch spot of choice (a classic) and we couldn't resist a Sourdoughnut. 

A big part of our weekends is often films and today I had the pleasure of finally watching Petite Maman. The movie is like finding your childhood jacket in the back of your cupboard, the smell takes you back to your Summer holidays and the pockets are still full of conkers and acorns. It's a film about growing up that doesn't lean on easy nostalgia, it's just pure in the same way Winner The Pooh is or My Neighbour Totoro. Though it was all in French, the dialogue and themes were so universal it was like watching a dream. It's such a gentle and whimsical watch, and at just 73 minutes, it's a fleeting embrace of a film that you'll wish lasted for just a little longer, just like the very best farewells.

No comments:

Post a Comment