Saturday 18 November 2023

Real Life Mario(?)

Rounded up the family and hit the Totterdown Arts Trail early doors. So ahead of the game in fact we were one person's first customer. We hit all the old standbys and favourite venues, as Louis so aptly said at one point 'it feels like no time has passed since last year.' A little older I guess but everything else had stayed the same. I didn't end up buying anything this year as nothing jumped out at me, but it was nice to see the community come together for such a big event.

We cooked everyone a chicken skewer and couscous dinner, but not before a rouge knock on the door. It was my neighbor who delivered a call to action I couldn't resist. 'Please come quick, there's a water-related emergency in my house.' I stepped over the threshold into a waterlogged hallway. A water pipe from under the kitchen sink was spraying water. You'd like to think that years of playing as a virtual plumber would have prepared me for this moment, but sadly it was beyond my expertise. I spent 30 minutes getting hosed down by Maine water as I attempted to reconnect some pipes. It was all in vain though as there was nothing to be done until the water was shut off. Me and the neighbors' family all chipped in til the emergency plumber arrived. We found a bit of PVC piping and managed to route it into rapidly filling buckets. When the expert arrived I was stood down, all I could do is think how lucky we were to not have a problem like that... And how ridiculously wet my clothes had become.

No comments:

Post a Comment