Saturday 4 November 2023

Vampire Survivors

A workman popped round this morning to install our new radiator, which is also the final piece of the puzzle for our hallway renovations for the year. Hurray! 

So I spent a few hours this morning huddled in a room with the cat but still making myself available to the chap in case he had questions. I was browsing the app store on my iPad and spotted they had the game that won last year's BAFTA for best game. Vampire Survivors is exactly what I expected it to be. A dopamine drip pipe where you watch numbers go up as screens of bad guys disintegrate thanks to your holy weaponry. I got to a point with it today though where I unlocked so many power ups that I literally just left the game running and did the washing up. I came back 10 minutes later as the game played itself - all the attacks happen automatically so minimal input is required from the player. I had a horrible epitome. What the hell was I doing with my life? I was watching a game play itself. I'm actually rendered speechless when I remember it's a BAFTA winning title, every person who included it in their end of year review write up boasted about how many hours they sank into it. You can't just guild a time killer app to justify your how you spent your existence on watching tiny numbers go up and enemies melt. No one in their deathbed will say, 'Damn, I wish I played more Vampire Survivors'. I just feel embarrassed of ever having played it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment