Sunday 26 November 2023

She's a Killer

During my early morning doom-scrolling session I went down a small rabbit hole for mods for a cat video game we played last year. Turns out a few fans have made it so you can change the colourations on the in-game cat, including a tortoise shell variant that looks not dissimilar to Edi.


I thought it was a quirky little thing, she's a very dear cat to Rebecca and me so it was a cute way to amp up the enjoyment of being a cat owner.

Then I went downstairs. I spotted a weird brownish patch on the carpet at the foot of the stairs where Edi was hovering. Oh great, she's been sick again. I continued downstairs and noticed a second patch. I rolled my eyes, but in the half-light of earlyish Winter mornings I only realized what the two patches were once I got closer.

One patcb was the half-carcus of an eviscerated mouse. The other was the entrails of said mouse.

Diligently, I strapped on some rubber gloves and inverted a carrier bag to scoop up the carrion. That was the rough end of the stick as Rebecca just had to use Vanish in the bloodstains. I never truly realized this but within their sphere, cats are apex predictors. I ate my breakfast in silence, occasionally shooting Edi a side eye as mulled over the dormant side of her I had never considered. I'd not really scooped up a properly dead thing like that before til today, whenever I recall it I lean into a domestic thousand years stare.

Suffice to say, I did not download the cat mod for the game. I'd rather lost my appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment