Monday 17 February 2014

Another Movie Day

Virtually ate all the food in the house, I left it as long as humanly possible until I needed to go shopping - I was on a diet of crisps, biscuits and over-ripe bananas. Met up with Jenny for a trip to Lidl where we impulsed bought a lot of grapefruit and blood oranges, the latter of which we squeezed into juice. A lot of movies then followed, all of which I had never seen before. As per usual, I will give you a quick review run-down.

Les Misérables

Finally got around to seeing this one. Some very strong performances from the whole cast (Anne Hathaway was the real show stopper.) Songs were pretty good and there were some good moments of awe and wonder. I still don't understand anything about the French revolution however so a lot of the second half felt quite lost on me, at least, the military themes. Didn't cry.

ParaNorman

So good to see a new stop-frame animation film. Character design was especially unique and charming, especially the side characters who all had very distinct personalities. Felt a lot like a Tim Burton film at times with a Cloud with a Chance of Meatballs comedy style. A great one to watch around Halloween.

Cloud Atlas

Although I kinda enjoyed this one, I had no real sense of what the narrative was trying to convey. It takes a look at around 6 different time eras and genres and tries to tell us that all these events are somehow linked to one another by some shared human spirit. This didn't come across in the clearest of way as each event seems incongruous to one another, but each meta narrative was entertaining enough in it's own right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment