Saturday 15 February 2014

Happy Valentines Day 2014

Spent a nice bit of time doing something I haven't done in a very long time. Watching episodes of The Simpsons. Started off watching the quintessential Valentines Day special episode 'I love Lisa' which features possibly the best seasonal card in TV:


Both my parents can testify that when I was younger I would watch a LOT of The Simpsons. It still holds a very special place in my heart since it was the show that got me interested in films through it's infinite amount of homages and also taught me a lot about comedy. This evening I went back to watch a pair of episodes that I didn't re-watch as frequently as others. I always remembered their endings not being very funny or interesting so I never thought they stood up to repeated viewings. But for whatever reason, I wanted to go back and give them another chance, just to see if I missed anything about them.

One episode in particular, 'Lisa's Substitute' from 1991 ends with a scene that is typically very out of character for a Simpson's episode - moreso than any other. Lisa completely tears down her father in front of the whole family before running off into her bedroom. Lisa has very much been the the main character of this episode, but the focus quickly switches to Homer and the pace slows to a crawl. He then does something that is beautifully out of character for him: he gives a masterclass in parenting through a touching and tenderly spoken monologue.

The internet will remember this episode for Dustin Hoffman's guest voice and the marketable quote:

'Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand'   

However, for me the best and most poignant quote is:

'Now you'll have lots of special people in your life, Lisa. There's probably some place where they all get together and the food is real good, and guys like me are serving drinks.'

Above all, this quote is about character. Homer knows his daughter is destined for great things, he knows that she if gifted, he also knows that he is not. He knows his place in life as someone on the sidelines who can only marvel at the brilliance of others around him, especially within Lisa. It's rare to see the family being this human and honest to one another, its moments like this that transcended the show toward greatness way back when.  

No comments:

Post a Comment