Saturday 24 May 2014

Neutral Milk Hotel

Not only did I finally twig how to use the London Underground properly yesterday, but I also saw Neutral Milk Hotel, the band responsible for my all time favourite album. Louis and I trekked down into London especially to see these guys and it was phenomenal when Jeff Magnum appeared, in the flesh, to perform his eight minute masterpiece Oh Comely. It just got better and better as the night continued as accordions, trumpets, tubas and even a singing saw were being performed on stage as the members humbly bounced around. I think my goosebumps got goosebumps when I heard the guitar riff for Naomi. Louis just kinda looked at me every now and then as if to say 'We did it bro...' It was surreal to finally see the band that made all this wonderful music, especially after they faded into obscurity 12 years ago. Above everything though, it was humanizing to know that the music was made by palpable human beings. I know that sounds really strange, but when you listen to an album like Aeroplane it is often difficult to imagine the people behind the lyrics and arrangement. You just see an ephemeral, musical blur.

Last night felt like a dream as well as a wake-up call to reality - a reminder that music (as well as every art form) is made for people, by people.     

No comments:

Post a Comment