Saturday 3 January 2015

Back from Eeklo

Rung in the new year while dressed up as a giant penguin in Belgium surround by many old and new faces, I'm not sure there could be a better way to celebrate the coming of 2015.

For those of you who don't know, I have been away in Eeklo, a small town in Belgium for another Twin Town/Youth for Europe trip. We squeezed in a trip to Brussles where we sampled some classic (and affordable) waffles along with a really excellent light show in the main square where all the main buildings were illuminated with LED lights and changed depending on the music. Bruges was the other town we looked at and while I am now no stranger to Bruges, I can now happily say that I have made chocolate there as our 'surprise activity' was a trip to the chocolate museum followed by a practical 'make your own edible souvenir' course.

And as mentioned, we did the big countdown in Eeklo and then partied long into the night. But the beers were free so there was not much reason to go to bed, our host also performed a pukka DJ set which gave way to 6 hours of dancing. Most notable was my 'Mahna Mahna' dance which completely came out of nowhere and left the floor flabbergasted.

Now I am back home and the collective lack of sleep over the past week can finally catch up to me. But here's a nice photo of my girlfriend and I enjoying the Bruges Christmas Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment