Tuesday 27 January 2015

Grim Fandango Remastered

I cannot physically remember a time in my life before we owned Grim Fandango. It has always been that game which not many other people had a chance to play either, it was a true hidden gem at the time or release despite the rave reviews it got way back in 1998. I've played it countless times to the point where I can mouth along to many dialouge sequences and recited the puzzles without looking at a guide. To this day I consider it one of the most unique and stylized games I have ever had the joy of experiencing and earlier this afternoon I got to play a brand new shiny version released here in 2015.

'It makes the game look as good as you remember it' is a popular expression people are throwing around the internet to describe any 'remastered' versions of games and that taps into a very poignant theme to me. Especially in regards to Grim. Thanks to the new lighting and hi-res textures the game looks just as good as what you thought it did when you first played it. A handy click of a button instantly reverts the visuals back to 'original mode' which look garbled and messy by modern standards and make you wonder how the hell you put up with it. Now, thanks to the fancy visuals and range of control options it feels like I'm experiencing the game for the first time again.

But above all it puts a smile on my face to know that hundreds, maybe thousands of people will now have the opportunity to play a game that captured my heart for their first time as well.    

No comments:

Post a Comment