Sunday 23 December 2018

Skinny Latte Man

Guess I should cone out and say it, I haven't been feeling even remotely Christmassy this year. After the roaring success of last years 'Quest for Christmas' I thought I could rest on my laurels and the seasons cheer would flow through me effortlessly. In reality, I feel as festive as a tea bag. That was until about lunchtime today at work...

One of our most frequent regulars is a chap we've dubbed 'Skinny Latte Man'. He popped in today, ordered his usual and a college went off to give him his coffee, she returned holding a rather large present and a glum look in her face. After chatting with him, she discovered that he comes in often because he used to come in all the time with a good friend, who sadly died of cancer earlier in the year. Coming to Coffee #1 is his own little way of staying close to that friend and reminding himself of all the good times they spent together. The present he offered was to thank all of us for being consistently warm, friendly and accommodating whenever he comes in. He got us a box of Milk Tray and its fair to say that none of us were expecting a present like that, and this particular act really touched me. While I know that Christmas is the season of giving, this moment reminded me that Christmas is a chance for all of us to be the best possible version of ourselves and to offer thanks to one another for all the good times shared throughout the year. That spark for the goodness of the human spirit returned to me for the first time this December after that humbling act, so much so that I even found myself involuntarily singing Christmas songs while washing up. Thank you Skinny Latte Man, I'm now even more eager to get home and spend some quality time with my family this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment