Saturday 30 April 2022

Downton Abbey: A New Era

Though the cinema audience for Downton Abbey: A New Era was by no means packed, I was humbled by how many people were invested in the story of these characters. The saga continues for the Grantham's and their servants, a French Villa is contested and a film crew visit the stately home, but otherwise it's buisness as usual. There's almost a Christmas panto energy to the proceedings that keeps everything light and airy, but it knows how to handle emotional beats with grace.

The hidden power of the film, to me at least, is how it manages to resummon memories of our own family and those who have passed during Downton's long run. Amidst all the not-so-subtle nods to Singing in the Rain, I found myself looking inwards a lot more than I expected, smiling fondly at the thought that Granny Sue could have been sat in the darkness next to me, chuckling at the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment