Friday 6 January 2023

Aftersun

Hosted the early Friday morning meeting with all our heads of department, that means only one thing for me: coffee! Our producer also brought in a selection of pastries that needed cutting up, so I was plating up croissant, pouring hot drinks to order and cleaning tables - just like my cafe days. Glad I remembered all the steps though, everyone was in high spirits once I was done and dusted. 

It's only the 6th day of the year, but I already think I've seen the best film ill see in 2023. Aftersun is an understated triumph that perfectly captures the feeling of going to an all inclusive holiday resort in Turkey in the 90's. Joking aside, this is a film about memory and how we reflect on the people we used to love. Home video removes some of the mental haze, only to replace it with static and longing for the people immoralized on tape. It's such a visually rich film that's seamlessly paired with focused themeing, it ends up telling its story with tone which means that every viewer will take away something personal and intimate. Easy recommend for just about anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment