Monday 1 January 2024

Saltburn

As is customary with all Jan 1sts, the day is somewhat squandered by the acts of the night before. We reap what we sow in this life, but a late start to the morning is a fair price for a fun New Year's Eve party. We visited a friend of ours for the afternoon, spending a few hours with them and their dog - a very civil way to start the year. I then acted on one of my mini New Year resolutions: to watch a few more modern movies. Saltburn seemed like a good place to start seeing as it hit streaming... Let's just say I'm glad I didn't pay admission to watch it because it got worse with every passing minute. I was never sure whom to empathize with, or who to root for as even when you think you got the measure of someone, the film laughs in your face for ever caring anymore. It thinks it's clever and subversive for doing this but it just reads as smug and undeveloped. When nothing in your film really matters, why should I even bother to care?

No comments:

Post a Comment