Tuesday 2 January 2024

Uncharted (The Movie)

Off the back of my mini goal to watch more films this year I saw 49 Up (for research purposes) followed by the Uncharted movie with Rebecca. The latter is based on a video game and, big surprise, it wasn't especially good. I'm also trying to write more reviews on LetterBoxd these days, please indulge me if I repost my thoughts here from time to time:


I can't quite put my finger on why this film doesn't quite hit the same highs as the games...

Maybe it's the lack of charm, theming and pathos in the story. Maybe it's because its most inspired set pieces are copy+pasted from the games. Maybe it's because the 'real' villain is as interesting as a wet piece of cardboard. Maybe it's because there's no involving historical intrigue in the central treasure hunt. Maybe it's because Mark Wallburg looks like he got lost on his way to interview for the next Oceans film.

...Like I said, it's really hard to put my finger on why.

No comments:

Post a Comment