Tuesday 11 October 2011

Zombie planning

Our film lesson today helped me and Mark focus our efforts on our coursework on our beloved genre of zombies. We have planned a general synopsis for our 8 minute film, it will be mostly set within our scout hut and a good old siege, we are hoping to spice it up with some typical comedy and plenty of gore!

My new pair of Lovefilms arrived today so I hastily popped in Barefoot Gen, a film I have been greatly anticipating since I saw it on the top 50 animations list, it makes a very good companion piece to Grave of the Fireflies as both are about the late war in Japan. While I would call the latter a slightly better film it isn't by much, considering that Grave is one of my favorite films that is saying a lot. The animation style is a lot more cartoony and the first 20 minutes of the film lull you into a calm state of mind, much like the peaceful civilians of Japan. What comes after is one of the most shocking and brilliant moments I have ever seen in an animated film that truly and horrifically portrays the bombing of Hiroshima. I squirmed, I smiled, I laughed, I cried and all in a brief 80 minutes. I highly recommend this under appreciated film, it was simply wonderful.   

No comments:

Post a Comment