Wednesday 12 January 2022

Licorice Pizza

Made a right fool of myself trying to scan my digital bus ticket - a small price to pay to go play some tennis with Mark across town. I've never played a game of tennis in my life, I briefed Mark with this fact to give him a sense of the match-up. After a practice knockaround we launched into a few games, though Mark won most games but laterly I begun to hold my own. Just gotta work on my backhand. And my serving. And my forehand...

A few hours later in the cinema my legs started aching from the workout, but my mind was elsewhere. Namely the 70's world of Licorice Pizza, Paul Thomas Anderson's latest film about holding a candle for your childhood crush. It's a very stylish film, as such a lot of the auxillary character almost get boiled down into characature, in particular the adults like the outrageous Bradly Cooper cameo, but that's how I remember thinking about grown ups when I was younger. It's a romance film that never sweeps you off your feet, people are capable of repeatedly letting others down in this world and that gave the story a sense of truth which contrasted well against the film's style. I laughed a fair bit too, and for a PTA movie that's saying a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment