Thursday 8 August 2024

Damn Spores

 I finished up a replay of The Last of Us around lunchtime. I was once again blown away by the ending and grateful that I didn't live in a post-apocalypse ruled by mushroom spores... Turns out though less than a meter away from the coffee table I set my controller down on was a miniature fungal colony living rent-free in my own home.

As one of my 'holiday chores' I did a little clear out of our understairs cupboard. Underneath every single shelving unit was white patches and discolouration in the carpet - mould in other words. So I went nuclear. Everything out and wiped down, carpet hoovered and hit with a white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda mix (which I had to run out and get). I was scrubbing the floor down on my hands and knees with a metal scourer praying that I was doing some damage to it all. We left the dehumidifier running in there overnight so hopefully we'll see some improvement - I just could have done without the fear of losing the house to mould gripping me all afternoon.

Speaking of ropey feelings, I watched the recent action film Nobody in an effort to have some 'brain off' time. Instead I was rewarded with an underwhelming, plodding flick about an ex-assasin trying to live a quiet life, who secretly yearns to be an assassin again but actually yearns for the quiet life, this time for real? It was messy so I wrote up my feelings on Letterboxd:

I love Bob Odenkirk as much as the next fella, but it's hard to get behind his character who loses and gains nothing. The story is mercilessly held at gunpoint by the plot which dictates every beat and shields all the 'good' guys with impregnable plot armour for the vague hope of a sequel. The creaky dialogue would have been fun in a B-movie but the tone never lets us relax into it's style and crucially this hurts how we, the audience, can involve ourselves into this world and it's people. It's a redemption tale without a payoff and a goofy action flick without any creative flourishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment