Wednesday 4 April 2012

Leeds Roadtrip

Yesterday morning we got up bright and early to travel off to the Leeds Youth Film Festival. By 11 we managed to drive about 200 miles, eat a McDonalds breakfast and I drank 2 very large cups of coffee. The festival itself took place in a very quaint building that looked like something out of The Last Picture Show and lasted 5 hours with 4 separate age categories and a Skype interview with a young filmmaker from Asia. Unfortunately we walked away without and of the cash prizes but we did see a bunch of really pukka short films, it was clear from the get-go that we were in for some stiff competition.

The fore mentioned cups of coffee managed to pool quite heavily into my bladder causing me to very badly need the toilet, I daresay it was possibly the worst personal instance of this in living memory. I declared this fact early on but couldn't go during the festival as there was always a que in the breaks, while  driving to the hotel we got a bit lost and I needed to stay in the car as the others checked in to look after the bags. I sat by my lonesome for an extra 35 minutes until Mark and Dan came along to tell me which floor and room was ours, at this point it hurt to bend over or run because I needed the loo so much. After I finally got into our hotel room and pee for what felt like a lifetime of a mayfly I asked what the hold-up was. Everyone else pointed to Mark and said he spent ages in the bathroom for no apparent reason, to which we replied with a guilty face 'I needed a wee.'

Evening meal was a Subway and a litre of chocolate milk which is a very delicious thing in small doses I found out. Coming home today with a late Burger King Breakfast (we very nearly did a fastfood sweep these 2 days) and jammed out to Tom Petty's Free Falling and I cringed at Chris' selection of Owl City and... Justin Bieber; I died a little on the inside today.

Below are my 2 personal favourite entries of the film festival which are both stellar pieces of animation.

Niagra: http://vimeo.com/groups/1615/videos/36936364 (Explicit language)

Ever Hear a Postman Whistle?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0p4kyuirAio

No comments:

Post a Comment