Thursday 3 April 2014

'Great Entertainment'

I read three graphic novels yesterday. Just sat out in the garden and ploughed through 'Chicken with Plums', 'When the Wind Blows' and 'Blankets'. All of which were sensational and effecting stories that left me with that addictive sense of fulfillment. I heard something today that I though was very interesting and can be applied to novels, art, films and video games. I will paraphrase it now.

'Good entertainment provides an escape from reality, great entertainment teaches us about reality.' 

That rung oddly true to me. Some of the best films and books change our lives because they make us consider different points of view and cultures. When we come out of a experience knowing that we have changed in some way, we understand that something about what we witnessed resonated with our being. As I said, I think I am a bit of a junkie when it comes to that feeling, been a bit starved of it recently but these graphic novels are certainly scratching that itch.

No comments:

Post a Comment