Sunday 27 April 2014

Marsh Land Hiking

Back home safe and sound from a moderately successful hike! I say moderately since I, quite literally, fell into some trouble. There was a lot of wet marsh lands and streams to cross on account of the naff weather we had this weekend, one lake especially proved to be quite difficult to get across. Mark just hopped across on a protruding bit of gravel, it looked a bit wet for my tastes though and I spotted a log to walk atop. Mark took one look at the log and immediately told me that the wood was rotten through, as a result Dan went to find the footpath bridge a few feet over to save crossing on it. I however was up for a bit of fun.

"Screw the bridge, I'm here for fun!' I believe were almost my exact words. I said this moments after getting on top of the wood and realizing crossing it was in fact a very bad idea. I just really needed to convince myself otherwise. Halfway across Mark again pleaded 'It's rotten.' I sharply responded 'Your rotten!' I was too far through to back out now, I went to put my foot down in the centre and crunch.
Leg goes through, I lose my footing, trousers get wet and I feel stupid. It needed a 'Total Wipe-out' style replay to capture the swarm of emotions I went through in those few seconds.

I had one rule while I was hiking yesterday: Don't be a muppet. I am sorry to say that I broke that rule.

We did absolve our past selves of muppetry however. The first time we did this hike we very cleverly decided that crossing a dual carriageway was a suitable place to cross on foot all those years ago. Little did we know, there was an underpass we only discovered after going over the road and dodging 60mph cars.





Yesterday however, we took the low road.

No comments:

Post a Comment