Sunday 13 April 2014

The Little Prince

Had my bath today. Poured in all the bath salts I got for Christmas and got ready for a nice cleansing soak. Sat in the tub and did my usual 'blimey, water can be hotter than I expect' routine, but this time, I didn't have to turn on the cold water at all. Instead the water temperature from the tap begun to plummet, leaving me with the difficult choice of having a 'hot-but-half-full' or a 'brimming-with-ice-water' bath. I chose the former. Guess it was naive of me to think that there would still be hot water at 4pm.

I also had to make a compromise while cooking dinner today. Plans were to have another sheppards pie but once I got my hands on our potatoes I could have sworn someone cracked an egg onto them. Just turned out that after a little while 'tatoes seem to have a tendency to eek out some for of stale porridge. Naturally, that option was out. We needed a replacement carb to go with our mince and Worcestershire sauce. Sheppards bolognaise it is! Mark and myself needed a hearty meal like that after beating the hardest and secret level in Mario 3D World, it took us 80 minutes to complete a single stage.

That victory shouldn't outshine what I consider to be the most eventful moment of the day. My Father always speaks fondly of 'The Little Prince,' the books opening was read to me multiple times and we still reference the boa constrictor that swallowed an elephant drawing. However, up until this afternoon, I had never read beyond that point in the novel. Finishing the last paragraph, I felt like I had simultaneously aged and returned to my inner child. A brief chapter about a signalman stands out in my mind, The Prince and Signalman discuss the passengers aboard trains which closes:

"Only the children press their noses against the window-panes... They are lucky."

 It's writing like this that makes my heart ache while keeping a smile on my face.

     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment