Thursday 19 March 2015

Dissertation Proposal

Psyching yourself up to do something you know is going to be naff is always a massive bummer for me, mostly because I am no good at it. Don't get me wrong, I am decent at motivating myself when I have a real drive or passion for something, but for something like doing homework I just have minimal energy for it. Unless I can make it fun that is. Boy I remember making some of my A-level essays as fun as I could and that helped me power through them and ultimately really enjoy what I was doing. Life lesson for myself is to find someway to enjoy even the most tedious of tasks.

Sadly, this rule doesn't apply to dissertation proposals. It ranks with some of the absolute driest, most clinical pieces of writing I've ever done and there is very little I can do to help that since it requires a writing style that provides basically no room for creativity.  I have literally blagged 142 words out of 'I will visit the library.' Maybe that can be considered fun or even an accomplishment for some, but for me it just makes me feel sorry for everyone else who has to write these things.

I mentioned earlier that working up the motivation to do things like this is tricky, it gets even worse though as I am such a heavy procrastinator in this regard that it actually depresses me when 4 hours after I promised myself I would start writing, I am still doing something else. And not even something important like watching a film or bettering myself, I can't commit to anything knowing that I should be writing something. But I fritter the time away on the internet searching for funny videos and refreshing pages in vain of new content. I then get in a slump about how I haven't done any work in that time and also how I could have actually procrastinated better by doing something worthwhile. In other words I am gutted about the quality of my time wasting, crazy as it sounds.

Perhaps I need to work on how I set my personal deadlines to myself. Maybe use Custard Creams as a motivator.

Custard Creams solve everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment