Tuesday 31 March 2015

Farewell Club Nintendo

Got my hands on a very affordable copy of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker and I am loving it so far. The little guy is indeed very cute and his world feels equally adorable. It is a wee bit on the easy side at the moment, but actually playing the game and uncovering any additional secrets is a lot of fun.

Speaking of Nintendo, today I spiritually waved off a very dear service to my heart. Since 2002 Nintendo had a really nice website dedicated as a hub for their content called Club Nintendo. One of the coolest things about it was the ability to trade in your 'stars' in order to get free stuff. You get stars by purchasing games and tucked away along-side the manual for each boxed game is a little red scratch-card with a code on it. It was always such a treat to see one of them hidden along with your game, to this day I smile whenever I see one left unused in it's case. I realised I had a large back-log of these things so I signed them all up online since they announced that the service would be closing as of March 31st.

The things you can trade in for your stars always looked really nice, typically you could get downloadable games or even physical trinkets like a Mario hat or a nice trophy of the classic characters. The stuff was always a tad on the expensive side, but after a long haul of point accumulation I netted about 5000 stars today. Looking on the site now, the bonuses were a bit sparse, clearly they were low on stock since people were buying it all out, but I got my hands on two pouches for a DS, one for me, and maybe one for Louis.

Little bit sad to see the service go, but Nintendo are migrating and adapting it for something else soon which will hopefully be just as neat and rewarding for the younger generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment