Wednesday 18 March 2015

Sounds like Spring

Spring has officially hit Bournemouth on this gloriously sunny day. Not only was the weather good but a part of a birds eggshell also almost hit me leaving uni today, as if we needed further conformation that the season has indeed changed.

What hasn't changed is our boring Wednesday lectures and holy cow, are these things dull. They have all been aimed at how to collect and record data if your are doing a social sciences dissertation which involves conduction surveys. I would argue that under half of the people in the room are doing that kind of dissertation however so the info provided was teetering on useless for many. Looking around me I noticed that I was within the 5% of people actually trying to pay attention. On my right someone was playing Grand Theft Auto on his phone and the girls to my left were settling into a game of hangman. I don't blame them. Heck I should have joined in! I'm alright at hangman.

Returning home was like Christmas in March though as, at long last, my sound gear arrived. Boom pole was first, chunky thing which can extend to three meters. It then dawned on me that the cables I bought may have be a bit too short if I needed to extend it fully. Imagine my surprise when they bundled a complimentary 6 meter XLR cable! I was over the moon. I got plenty of other nice little bits I wasn't expecting either, like a nifty pouch for the mic and a sticker I could wear to say how much I love that brand of microphones. Listening back to the quality is an absolute dream as well, very clear and it's just rewarding to know that you've captured some good audio.  

Also just got off the phone with a director for a local political campaign, I'd previously agreed to do sound for their video back in Newbury for a two day shoot. Consider that as my first free-lance job in sound!

No comments:

Post a Comment