Saturday 7 March 2015

Missing Girl

Picture this. Rebecca wants to watch Manhattan with me this evening after a Chinese take-away. The movie is coming to the end. Issac runs through the streets of New York to in a desperate attempt to find his true love, Tracey. He spots her through a sliding door of her apartment building, moments before she's due to go to London. It's in this scene which ties together the whole film and brings up the worst fears of the protagonist. The acting and the writing is so darn good. And then Rebecca's phone rings.

Apparently one of Rebecca's course mates had been drinking and got badly lost on her way home and her housemates were worried about her. Rebecca and I leave the house to go on a mini manhunt for the missing girl, 20 minutes later she'd been found back at home after stumbling in. Rebecca and I drop in to make sure everything is ok, Rebecca and the girl then get into a long conversation about the night and other things on her mind - this is of course a classic device to calm people down and sober them up.

Rebecca returns to the kitchen saying that everything was all good and that a glass of water was needed, she goes back with the water in hand to find that the girl has done a runner and bolted. We spring into action, running in different directions to cover all bases when I luckily stumbled on the missing girl hidden in a bush.

After we coaxed her back inside she seemed much more rational. Her housemates proceeded to have a girly chat in a bedroom while I sat and watched the entirety of District 9 on FilmFour; and I was just chuckling to myself about what had just transpired. It was an experience I wouldn't trade for anything. Even the ending of my favourite film.

No comments:

Post a Comment