Saturday 2 December 2017

Quest for Christmas: Gremlins

First Christmas film on the list. Rebecca and I just got through watching Gremlins, she had never seen it before but her heart was quickly stolen by Gizmo and I think she was invested from that point on.


The opening section where the characters walk through a tiny snow covered American town just screams Christmas. It's the perfect postcard image for the holidays and an incredible setting for tiny green things to wreck havoc.

First time I saw this film I was a little young for it, Dad and I caught it on TV while we were channel surfing around Christmas, we only caught the last 15 minutes or so, but I wanted to see more of whatever it was I was watching. Dad bought the DVD home sometime later, and it's become a great alternative Christmas film we whack every other year or so. The TV edit cut out a lot of gorier bits, but now that I'm waaaay older, I probably enjoy those bits the most. You can't not love the bit where a Gremlin's head explodes in the microwave.

What shines through the violence though is a cute little film about a boy and his pet. It doesn't go in too hard with the classic Christmas message (the film was originally released in June) and it's horror elements are at a very good level, as in it's not too frightening for scaredy cat old me. It's a great 'warm-up' Christmas film, one to watch early December before the urge to watch a real Christmas film takes hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment